To add a gmail gadget, you first need to install the “Add any Gadget by URL” feature in google labs.
- Enter Gmail
- In the top right, click the Settings wheel
- Click “Labs”
- Search for “Add any gadget by url”
- Enable the lab
Now to add gadgets, you first need to find the url of the gadget that you wish to include in gmail. Some gadgets that I have, and find useful are listed below:
- Wikipedia gadget (http://www.google.com/ig/modules/wikipedia.xml)
- Calculator (http://www.poturi.net/gadgets/calc/calc.xml)
- URL shortener (http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/107368512201818821991/bitly-shortener.xml)
- Google map shortener (http://www.google.com/ig/modules/mapsearch.xml)
- Chuck Norris Fact Generator (http://marsupialmusic.net/stu/scripts/chucknorris.xml)
To add these gadgets, navigate to the settings page in gmail. Next to the Labs tab, there should now be a “Gadgets” tab. Just click this tab and then paste the url for the desired gadget.
For other gadgets that people like, see this post on socialtimes.com
Have a gadget that you really enjoy? Post it in the comments
- The 20 Best Google Labs Add-Ons For Gmail [Republished] (gizmodo.com)